To make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
Colesville United Methodist Church had its origin as a Methodist Meeting in 1794. That congregation built a church in today's Meadowood, now on New Hampshire Ave but then the Ashton Colesville Turnpike, in 1804. In 1869 a building committee composed of members of that church obtained land now across from the present church on which they built the frame Andrew Chapel in 1869.
The groundbreaking for the present sanctuary was held on May 4, 1958. The cornerstone was laid on Nov 16, 1958 at the base of the east entrance. The building was consecrated on May 3, 1959 and on May 10, 1959, the Sunday worship service started in Andrew Chapel and at an appointed moment, the congregation, hymnals in hand, was led across Randolph Rd (then Glenmont Road ) by Rev. Paul Groseclose and the choir, to conclude the service. The Education wing was begun with a groundbreaking Aug 4, 1963 and was consecrated March 22, 1964. Rev. Dr. O. Ammon Bartley was Pastor. In 1968, the church was named Colesville United Methodist Church.
Our church today is the result of the dedication of many people who have chosen to follow in the Master's steps: our ministers who have seen our needs and reached out to minister to us; our trustees; teachers and officers of the church school; the music department with its children's, youth, and adult choirs; lay leaders; officers and members of the Church Council which includes work areas and committees; the United Methodist Men; the United Methodist Women; and staff members. They have all contributed to our heritage.
Colesville is located at 52 Randolph Road in Silver Spring, Maryland, west of the intersection of New Hampshire Avenue and Randolph Road. For specific directions, you may use the interactive map below.